Pages

Feb 17, 2012

Neck Mod Tutorial Thing

I had Tinyfairies without neck mods and I got frustrated for changing their clothes. Taking Tinyfairy heads off is really tedious when you have to pull all strings trough and remove S-hook and lower the strings and remove head and ARGH. I decided to do the mod myself, I didn't want to bother my dear neighbour for the job this time. I wanted to try! We have powertools, but I'm not comfortable with Dremel so I decided to use basic small files my boyfriend had. I made a little tutorial for it, if people wish to try. If I can do it, you can!

Forgot to mention, use a face mask for your own safety so you don't breath the resin dust and if you're really afraid of it, take a little cup of water and dip the file in it every now and then. Water prevents the dust to fly around. Especially if you don't have a face up in your doll there's no harm done for using some water with this mod. ^^


MAN. I had five heads to wait for modding, far left is one that was modded by Jesmoth. ^^


The tools of trade, basic diamond surface files from Biltema hardware store, quite cheap set, 3-4€. Wash them before use if you've used them before beginning to work with resin, they do get "filled" with resin dust quite fast.


Draw the shape of the dents you wish to have.


Take a good grip from the head, I hold it from the top, behind the ear. First use a sharp edge file to make the first dents to the edge of the neckhole. Push gently for the first dents, next file will keep a better place when you have a starting point.


Deepen the dents with a flat file, you don't need to push hard, keep a light touch so it won't get too deep too fast.


Use the round file to even the width of the dents.


Looks good, remember to check both sides when you're working.


Try the S-hook while working, then you know how much you have to work for the dents until s-hook goes trough. It didn't fit so a little bit more work to be done.


It fits trough! Yay, good job. ^^


I don't want to damage the edges of the head, so I usually put in Luts neckpart for Delf. You can get the neckparts in two sizes from Coolcat. Smaller apparently would also be good for Tinyfairy heads. I tape the headcap on with masking tape or you can use a small rubberband to keep the headcap in place. ^^ Thank you for watching!

No comments:

Post a Comment